Kidney stones cause intense, sharp and miserable pain often compared to labor pain in childbirth. Symptoms may include pain in lower back, groin and lower abdomen. Home remedy for kidney stones has significantly helped in recovery of many patients around the world. These home remedy may take more time to completely cure kidney stones, but they do not cause harmful side effects to the body. They are caused by various factors like poor lifestyle, dietary habits and genetics.
Home remedy for kidney stones
Kidney stones can cause excruciating pain in back and groin, but they do not cause any permanent damage to body. Home remedy for kidney stones basically help in reducing the size of the stones and effectively excreting them through urine. At times these home remedies can also prevent further calcium oxalate deposition. According to Ayurveda, home remedies are natural and do not cause any side effects and is nutritious for the body.
What Is The Best Thing To Drink If You Have Kidney Stones?
1. Banana stem juice
The trunk of banana plant is rich in potassium and widely used as home remedy for kidney stones. Squeeze the stem of banana plant and train it. You can drink the juice without adding any further additives. However if you are not comfortable with the taste you can add lemon juice or cardamom powder and drink.
In fact the citric acid from lemon enhances the absorption of potassium and hence is advantageous to remove kidney stones naturally. Banana stem juice also helps to prevent urinary tract infections and diseases.
2. Wheatgrass juice remedy for kidney stone
Wheatgrass has the property to prevent mineral deposition and flushes out any stones that are formed in kidneys. Wheat grass is rich in potassium, vitamin E and good source of protein equal to other leafy vegetables.
Wheatgrass not only helps to remove kidney stones but also flushes away toxins from body easily. Drink two glasses of wheatgrass juice everyday to get optimal effects on stone removal. Organic wheatgrass powder available on our website SIM Organics is a wonderful add to your healthy kitchen pantry.
3.Horse Gram Soup Cures Kidney Stone
Horse gram soup is a healthy home remedy for kidney stones and prevents its relapse again. Horse gram is also called as kollu in Tamil or kulthi in Hindi and is easily available in winter months.
Horse Gram Soup – Recipe
- Horse gram – 250 gms
- Water – 3 l
- turmeric powder – a pinch
- black salt – as per taste
- cumin powder – half tea spoon
- Black pepper powder – half tea spoon
- Soak 250 gms of horse gram in 3l water overnight.
- Boil the soaked horse gram in the same water for 3 to 4 hours till the water is reduced to 1/3 rd of its volume.
- Now, add all the other ingredients and boil for another 10 minutes or till the raw smell of the turmeric vanishes.
- Strain the water, you can use the gram to make dhal tadka, which is both nutritious and tasty too.
How to consume horse gram water to remove kidney stones
Drink 1 glass of horse gram water or rasam morning and evening continuously for at least a month. This will help in flushing off of kidney stones in urine.
4.Lemon juice a potent home remedy for renal stones
Lemon juice contains citrate reduces kidney stone size and flushes them without any pain. It also prevents mineral deposit in kidneys and urinary tract infections. Consume approximately 30 ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 times a day early in the morning on empty stomach and then in the evening before dinner for flushing the renal stones out of your kidneys.
5.Pomegranate juice a tasty remedy to remove kidney calculus
Studies have proved that the vitamin C and potassium content in Pomegranate juice cures and prevents oxalate deposits in kidneys. Pome juice is rich in antioxidants and helps to purify body of its toxins and free radicals.
In fact pomegranate juice helps in painless relief from renal stones, especially while the flushing process, which normally is very painful.
6.Red Kidney bean or Rajma (Water) for treating kidney stone
Rajma or red kidney beans did not get their name without a reason. Not only are they shaped as kidneys they also are rich sources of potassium which helps in lowering oxalate levels in kidney.
How to cure kidney stones using kidney beans
- Soak kidney beans in 2 litres of water overnight.
- Boil for 3 to 4 hours on low flame with required amount of turmeric and black salt.
- strain and add cumin and pepper powder.
- Drink this water twice a day till you are relieved of the pain and the stones which are flushed out through your urine.
Along with red kidney beans, moong dhal and split bean can be consumed as soup or curry. The water from Rajma or Red Kidney bean should always be fresh and should not be consumed 24 hours after preparation.
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Lemon Juice For Kidney Stones
Extra virgin oil is super thick and is a great lubricant to flush out the adamant calculi.
Take 2 ounces of extra virgin olive oil, mix 2 ounces of lemon juice, and add 8 ounces of lukewarm water.
Take this mixture twice a day. You can consume the olive oil lemon juice mixture in empty stomach in the morning and in late evenings.
Olive oil is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. The mixture is great to lower cholesterol level in blood and prevent heart diseases.
8.Bermuda Grass/Durva or Doob/Arugampul Juice
Bermuda grass or Durva in Hindi and Arugampul in Tamil is a diuretic and has antioxidant properties. Studies have proved that 200mg of Bermuda grass can considerably reduce stone formation and has striking antioxidant activity on patients suffering with kidney stones.
Wash a handful or 1/4 th cup of the grass thoroughly and remove the roots. Blend the leaves with a half cup water, strain and add more water to drink.
You can drink plain arugampul juice or add spices such as cumin seeds, black pepper and cardamom powder to enhance palatability. You can also add honey if required.
Take 50 l juice once every morning for best result.
9. Tender Coconut Water and Renal Stones
Coconut water is rich in magnesium and potassium, this prevents kidney calculi formation and getting rid of kidney stones from the body. They have diuretic property and increase the urine production to flush the calculus out of the urinary system. Take coconut water 2 to 3 times a week.
Barley is small whole some grain and is known for its diuretic properties. Barley grains are rich in magnesium and vitamin B6. The alkalizing property of magnesium helps to break large kidney stones to smaller stones. The kidney stones are reduced in size and are easier to be excreted in urine.
Boil 5 tablespoon of barley grain in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes on low flame. When barley grain gets cooked, strain the barley water, you can consume this 2 times in a day.
Sugarcane juice contains iron, magnesium, calcium and electrolytes. To cure renal stone body needs more water intake to flush the stone in urine. Sugarcane juice has that property of hydrating body tissues and help to dissolve calcium oxalate crystals. The size of the calculus gets reduced and excreted. Sugarcane juice also prevents calcium oxalate deposition in kidney by washing them away in urine.
12. Watermelon or Watermelon juice for renal calculi
Watermelon is rich in lycopene and antioxidants, thus helps to remove toxins and free radicals from body. They hydrate the body and have significant effect on kidney stone removal. Watermelon can be cut and consumed as slices or de-seeded and blended in juicer to make an awesome watermelon juice.
13. Amla or Gooseberry
Amla is rich in vitamin C, iron, calcium and vitamin B6 and these vitamins has significant role in preventing calcium oxalate deposition in inner walls of kidneys. The citrate level in amla is high and helps to maintain healthy kidneys. Amla or Gooseberry is also rich in antioxidants and removes free radicals from the body.
Take one amla per day in any form such as fresh berries, powder or juice, for benefits not only the kidneys but also in skin care, boosts immunity and cell activity.
14. Tulsi or Holy Basil
Tulsi or Holy Basil is a rich source of antioxidants and anti microbial properties. Prepare a thick concoction of basil by boiling in water. Dilute this concoction, mix with honey and have half a cup for 6 months to be relieved of any problems related to kidneys.
15. Green Tea
Green tea is rich in polyphenols and antioxidants. Green tea benefits body as detox and removing free radicals. Green tea prevents renal calculi formation by bonding with calcium oxalate mineral and hence changes the shape of the crystals formed in the urinary system.
Take 3 cups of green tea in a day to flush off the calculus deposited.
16. Radish juice
Radish is low potassium and low phosphorus containing vegetable. Radish juice have shown excellent results in improving kidney stone symptoms. The calcium oxalate crystals get dissolved and become smaller in size so that it can be expelled in urine.
Make fresh juice and consume once or twice in a day. They are diuretic ( increasing amount of urine excretion) and have laxative property.
What are kidney stones?
Stones in the kidney are mineral deposits formed on the inner side of kidney linings. Such deposits in form of small stones will be passed out through urine. They are usually painful in ureter and they passed out of the body unnoticed through urine. These mineral deposits are composed of calcium oxalate and many other minerals. Calcium oxalate along with other minerals stick together and crystallize to form hard deposits or small stones in concentrated urine. Usually these stones do not cause any permanent damage to the body but needs medical help to remove the stones and relief from associated pain.
What are the first signs of kidney stones?
- Pain in the belly, below rib cage, lower abdomen and pelvic regions.
- Frequent and burning urination in small amounts
- Frequent urge to urinate often
- Pain upon passing urine
- Colored urine with blood (hematuria) usually pink or brown
- Cloudy urine may be also noticed
- Nauseated and less appetite
- Fever with chills and upset stomach
- Recurring Pain is severe and sharp lasts 10 – 15 minutes and fades away as stone changes its position. The pain can be felt in the back closer to the rib cage or it may also be felt near the groin.
What are the types of kidney stones?
- Calcium stones – 80%.This is the most common type of kidney stones formed and are usually calcium oxalate crystals in urine.
- Uric stones – 5 to 10%.These stones are formed from high intake of animal meat, patients who are obese and suffer type 2 diabetes.
- Struvite stone/infection stones – 10%. These kidney stones are related to urinary tract infection and when the infection is treated there is less chance for these stone to develop.
- Cysteine stones – 1%.This is a genetic disorder when protein cysteine is high in urine causing stone to develop in urinary system.
What causes kidney stone formation?
- High sodium intake and junk food
Salty food can increase amount of sodium in the body blood level. This in turn causes an increase in amount of calcium in urine. When urine is concentrated, calcium gets deposited in inner wall of the kidney as calcium oxalate. Normal sodium consumption per day should be 2300 milligrams.
- Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts, Seeds, Meat from Poultry and Animal intake causes kidney stone
Salad lovers or vegetarian may sometime develop kidney stones. Spinach, beetroot, soy food like tofu, tomatoes, wheat barn, raspberry, potatoes, yams, okra, oranges, dates, black tea, dark chocolate and nuts are high in oxalate. Seeds like hemp seed, flax seed must be avoided because they are high oxalate containing food. High intake of red meat or poultry meat can also cause kidney stones.
- Sedentary lifestyle, Alcoholism and Less fluid intake cause kidney stones
- Prior or Recurring history for kidney stones
- Gastrointestinal bypass or Bariatric surgery causes kidney stones
How Can You Prevent Kidney Stones
- Avoid junk food and canned soda
- Limit the consumption of high sodium diet
- Intake of balanced diet with more vegetables and fruits
- Increase intake of more water and avoid getting dehydrated
- Limit the animal meat and protein consumption
- Fiber rich diet help to keep kidney healthy by removing toxins
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol
- Follow an active lifestyle by keep body exercised
- Talk to your doctor about diet in case of Gastrointestinal bypass surgery
- Keep a check on blood glucose level, hypertension and obesity as this may lead to kidney stone complications.
- Avoid intake of antacids on regular basis.