People are attracted by advertisements, however sometimes it becomes too attractive that you seem to begin using things not for quality just to show off. something similar is the case of health mixes generally seen in the market. they have very low nutritious value yet you end up buying the costliest of them not knowing the real facts hidden behind them.
Image Courtesy Stuart Miles freedigitalphotos
Well for one thing you have to understand any health mix contains mostly a cereal powder that mostly would be not usable in any other form, added vitamin supplements and some mineral supplements. These vitamins and minerals are in the inorganic form and hence are sure to cause decline in health than improve it.
image courtesy Naypongfreedigitalphotos
Although there is no proven report that Milk is quintessential for your very being, yet there is a general belief that milk supplements you with calcium, protein and some fat needs of your body. Milk and honey are wholesome foods and hence good for children and adults.
If you want your child to lead a healthy lifestyle inculcate some habits in the childhood itself. Here are so tips to do so.
- never add sugar (or salt) to milk or any food when you introduce at the young age. Children do not know the taste of added sugar and if they are taught to drink plain milk they would make it a practice.
- If you have already put in a practice of adding sugar, try to switch to palm sugar.
- You can always give milkshakes in the mornings to fill their breakfast schedule, if in a hurry.
- Yogurt and buttermilk are better than milk because they harbour loads of beneficial microorganisms in them which will boost the digestive system of your child.
- for children you need not worry about giving milk with whole fat.
What to Add to Milk to Make it Tasty
Taste is a relative function which depends on the habit cultured from childhood. However if you want your child to have sweetened milk with added protein and nutrients here are some ideas.
- Cardamon Flavoured Badam Milk
Make a ready to mix powder from Badam, cardamom and saffron and store it. when you boil milk add this powder and some palm sugar or jaggery to it. Children would love it for the flavour and taste. This mix has all the nutrients of Badam and iron from jaggery and saffron.
2. Ragi Malt or Finger Millet Malt
Best Practice is to sprout Ragi and grind it into a smooth paste. You can then add water to the paste, let it stay for some time and filter it using fine cloth. Add this filtrate with milk and boil it for 10 minutes. Add palm sugar to enhance taste.
This malt is rich in vitamin E, calcium, B complex vitamins and other trace minerals. It is very god for you child in all sense.
if you are not able to go through the sprouting process, powder the Ragi or finger millet and add to water, let it stay whole night and then filter it.
Porridge out of rice powder, Ragi, Pearl millet powder and the like can also be made. The basic step involves cooking these cereal powders in uniformly in water and then adding milk to it.
Going by advertisements hardly give your child nourishment. They rather make the advertiser rich and you dependent on them.