Mysore Pak, a native of Karnataka is a real delicacy to sweet lovers. The porous long cakes are ones which you would not forget if you have tasted them once. Better and softer versions of mysorepak are now available in the market which melts like butter in your mouth. So, how do you prepare these mysorepaks?
The ingredients required to prepare mysorepak are vary simple.
- Besan or bengal gram flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Ghee – 1.5 cups
- water – 1/2 cup
These simple ingredients can be prepared into very soft and mouth watering mysorepak by following some simple steps.
First things first
You have to be ready to stir continuously so make sure you have taken every thing that you require and set them at your arms length. the preparation takes 20 to 25 minutes and is simple.
Keep a plate coated with ghee to set the “>mysore paak
All that you have to know is when to stop.
How to Prepare
1. Place a thick based wok/kadai on the stove and fry the Besan in low flame till you get a nice aroma. remember not to over heat the besan because it tends to burn easily. Remove the wok from flame and empty the flour into a bowl.
2. Add a few spoons of ghee to the besan flour and make it int a smooth paste.
3. Place a thick bottomed kadai or wok on the stove and add the sugar to it. Now carefully add water till the water surface is just above the brim of the sugar surface, remember to add just enough water. more water means longer duration of stirring.
4. Bring the mixture to boil til one string syrup consistency is attained.
5. Now add the flour ghee paste. You would not find any clumps because you have made a smooth paste of ghee and flour, the flour evenly mixes with the syrup. Place the remaining ghee in a vessel on the flame right next to your kadai. Begin stirring the besan sugar mixture.
6. You would find that the texture changes to a slightly porous one, at this stage pour one spoon of hot ghee and stir. In a similar fashion keep adding hot ghee and stirring till you find a slight change in colour and texture (you would not be able to move the stirring spoon as easily as you had been doing) of the mixture.
7. You would also get a very good aroma. the colour changes to a golden yellow which happens very quickly so you have be very careful to empty the contents in the greased plate immediately.
8. Cut the mysorepaks into any shape of your choice, I usually try different shapes.
You would get around 20 pieces.