image courtesyBoians Cho Joo Youngfreedigitalphotos
Cooking is always enjoyable and when you make it a family activity you sure are going to see the difference in the love shared. This becomes more special when children are involved too. Children in fact find cooking as a fun filled activity.
Do you want to entertain your kids in their spare time and yet you do not have any time of your own? Well, cooking could just do the trick. You could just get your menu done for the day and still keep your kids engaged in your sight. You can as well get to talking about their day; tell them stories and so on thereby save some time for yourself later in the day.
Some Simple Tasks for the Kids
It is not usually recommended to allow children below the age of 5 to be entertained in the kitchen. You have to carefully guide your child to begin with tasks that does not involve things to do with heat, sharp objects or even water.
Make it simple to start with, here is a list of things you can ask your child to do as a beginner
- Cutting shapes using cookies cutter. (You could make cute chapattis out of them, if not cookies).
- Crushing biscuits to use in non cook desserts.
- Decorating your cakes.
- Sieving your flour (sometimes it may end up being wasted though).
- Arranging vegetables for salad and so on.
These simple tasks first would make the child comfortable with your kitchen and experience the various processes involved in cooking.
Some points you have to take care though are
- Never choose a recipe that would take more than fifteen minutes, children would get bored soon.
- Make the recipe colourful and rich, this way you could make your child concentrate on actually preparing it.
- Prepare a menu in advance so that you can keep required ingredients ready.
Cooking is a therapeutic activity and when learned rightly can be advantageous to your child in the long run. So don?t hesitate go ahead and teach them to cook.