Interior Designing – a passion for many women and stay at home moms, has become a very promising industry to earn good money off late.
If you have an interest in arranging furniture and an eye for aestheticism, choosing the right décor and color, you are the right candidate to take interior designing as a career.
Star Wives and Interior Designing
Bollywood Stars’ wives have been busy with their hands full in jewelry designing, interior designing and costume designing.
Starting from King Khan’s wife GauriKhan to Hrithik Roshan’s ex Suzanne, women have paved way and shined well in interior designing. Twinkle Khanna and Tania Deol join this wagon too.
Well, if you have a passion to become an Interior Decorator right at the comfort of your home, there are many online and distance learning courses to make you a professional Interior designer.
Before providing the list of courses available, here is a small introduction about the field of Interior Designing.
An Introduction to Interior Designing
The purpose of Interior Designing is to turn an interior space, either residential or commercial, into a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing place.
An Interior Designer is a professional who helps to plan and decorate the places. There are many specializations within the Interior Decoration profession.
- Interior Designers who work closely with Architects and Engineers during the planning stages of a building. The help in designing of floor plans.
- Other type of designers work on completed buildings. Some specialize on working on a type of room, say bathrooms, kitchens, etc.
- while some work on a special type of design such as Vaasthu, Feng Shui, eco0freindly designs.
The list of specialization goes on.
A characteristic of an Interior designer is to consider the ideas of their client while planning a design and should also work based on budgets set by the client.
Ways of Earning in this Industry
If you want to become a Professional Interior Designer, then you need to have relevant education and be a certified Interior decorator.
- You should know how to plan the given space and should be able to visually present the plan to the client.
- You should have knowledge about the materials used and work with factors like color, texture and lightings that would suit the space.
- You should also have understanding about the structural requirements.
On the other hand, If you would like to be a Home Staging Professional, there is no need for a formal education in Interior designing.
- It involves rearranging furniture and choosing suitable paint to make it fresh. Any person with a flair to interior designing can become one.
- There are lots of workshop conducted by professionals.
List of Colleges
Here are few Colleges where you can learn Interior Designing:
- Apeejay Institute of Design (Affiliated to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar), New Delhi
- Women Polytechnic, New Delhi
- Rachna Sansa, School of Interior Design, Mumbai
4. Birla Institute of Liberal Arts and Management Sciences, Calcutta
5. Srishti School of art, design and technology, Bangalore
6. College of Art & Design (affiliated to University of Madras), Aminjikarai, Chennai
7. Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science & Higher Education for Women, Coimbatore
8. Bharathidasan University – Centre for Distance Education
10. Auxilium School of Interior Design
- MG University
- Vinayaka Missions University
There are more colleges to study interior designing, depending on your comfort you can choose them.