Is there specific yoga poses to reduce post pregnancy belly fat?
Post pregnancy Belly Fat is one of the most worrying problems which gives sleepless nights to men and women of all ages.
Disproportionate Tummy is not only aesthetically displeasing but also affects the individual’s health in long term.
In general, Belly fat denotes an unhealthy lifestyle. To reduce this fat, practicing exercises that stretch and exert pressure on the stomach would do wonders.
In case of reducing post pregnancy belly fat, exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor helps a lot in tucking the tummy in.
Yoga is one of the best ways to get rid of tummy in a systematic way. Here are some yoga poses for reducing that rigid tummy.
Yoga Poses for Reducing Post Pregnancy Belly Fat
Many people recommend Surya Namaskar for weight loss. But it has more benefits.
Performing Surya Namaskar is good for the physical, psychological and social well-being.
But while discussing about its effects in reducing post pregnancy belly fat, it is worth to mention that surya namaskar is a combination of stretching yoga poses. Thus, it helps in keeping the body well-toned.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Lie on the stomach with arms at each side of the body.
- Bend the knees and reach the arms to the feet and hold it.
- Lift the head while inhaling and bend backwards by lifting the legs as much as possible.
- Breathe normally while maintaining the pose.
- Come back to the original position while exhaling.
This asana needs to be repeated 5 times with a break of 15 seconds between the pose.
Benefits: This pose in addition to strengthening the core and tightening the abs, also helps in correcting the digestive system.
2. Naukasana (Pontoon Posture)
Naukasana is another important asana that attacks the belly fat.
- By lying on the back, inhale and raise the legs by keeping them straight.
- Lift the arms to reach the toes and create a 45-degree angle with the body.
- Maintain the posture and breathe normally.
This asana needs to be repeated 5 times.
There are two more asanas – Kumbhakasana (Board Pose) and Pavanamukthasana (Wind Easing Pose). The Board Pose is easy to do and burns belly fat. The Pavanamukthasana tones the abs and hips, and enhances the metabolism.
Specific Yoga Poses to Reduce Tummy after Delivery
Vyaghrasana (Tiger Pose)
- Take the position by coming down to all fours.
- Fold one leg (with knees bent and upper body downward and forward). After that, bring back the leg in the folded position.
- Repeat the same using the other leg.
This asana needs to be repeated 10 times for each leg.
Benefits: This asana helps in toning the lower body below the waist level.
Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
- Stand by keeping the legs 3 to 4 feet apart.
- Extend the arms to the shoulder level.
- Inhale while raising the right arm by the side of the head.
- Exhale while bending the right arm towards the left side of the body. Ensure that the weight should be balanced equally on both the feet and the right arm should become parallel to the ground.
- Breathe normally while maintaining the position and come back to normal position while inhaling.
- Do the same for the other arm.
This asana needs to be repeated 5 times for each hand.
Benefits: This asana helps in reducing fat from the waist and hip areas.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Lie down on tummy by keeping legs together and palms down under the shoulders. Rest the forehand on the ground.
- Raise the head up while inhaling, to the navel region and see the roof.
- Breathe normally and maintain this position for a few seconds.
- Come back to the normal position while exhaling.
This asana needs to be repeated 5-10 times.
Benefits: This asana tones the abdominal organs and muscles and helps in inch loss.
There are many other poses like the Cobblers pose, Camel Pose, Bridge Pose and Boat Pose that help in reducing the tummy. But always remember to consult a Yoga therapist before performing these asanas. They help in performing them with perfection to get the most benefit out of it.