Well, I have never dreamt about writing something so unusual ? Onion? For Hair Fall!
Of course, this was exactly how I too felt when my beautician told me to use onion paste as hair mask for half an hour before bath to reduce hair fall.
But then I thought may be a try would not harm, and here I am writing an article about the many effects I have experienced since using the paste. Believe me I have now begun using the paste almost every other day (with lots of complaints from my husband though).
Onion ? properties
Onions have a lot of properties that make them special especially for hair loss treatment. Some of these properties are
- Onions are rich sources of many nutrients such as vitamin C, Vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, Potassium, germanium and most importantly Sulphur.
- Onions cleanse your scalp making it free from dirt and other microbial infections.
- Onions increase blood circulation in your head boosting hair growth activity at that spot.
Onions and Sulphur
Sulphur is the mineral that is present in every cell, and a lot more in hair, skin and nails. Well, sulphur is thus rightly called the ?beauty mineral?.
High levels of sulphur present in onions help in regeneration of hair follicles by providing nutrients directly into the scalp, and helps in reversing hairloss normally caused by DTH (a hormone).
Trials to prove onions help in Hair Regrowth
Many trials have been conducted worldwide to prove the efficiency of onions in treating hair loss, many such trials have been cited online (Journal of Dermatology, June 2002).
Almost 70% of the participants had reported reversal of hair growth when onion juice was used as a treatment for hair loss. Instances of new hair growth have also been reported by a majority of these participants.
How to Use Onion Juice for Hair Treatment
- Using onion juice for hair treatment is simple. Squeeze one large sized onion and strain the juice.
- With a piece of cotton apply the juice all over your scalp and let it on for atleast 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and air dry it.
Though the above mentioned is the most widely method, you could also add your regular hair oil or olive oil to the onion juice and apply on your scalp.
Do?s and Don?ts
- Always know the reason for your hair fall first and then go for the right treatment.
- Do not rub hard on the scalp, it may induce hair fall giving an effect exactly opposite to what you had wanted.
- Use the treatment atleast for a fortnight at a stretch every other day.
- You can use hair care products with good tinge of fragrance to overcome the strong odour of onion.
- Use of conditioners (preferably natural such as lime water and beer as an afterwash) could be used with onion juice hair mask.
Onion may give out a very strong whiff, but that is the key to your hair growth and regrowth of course. Try it and you would be astonished by the results yourself.