I am a big fan of fast paced life, and Microwave cooking especially for my fast paced lifestyle until recently.
I had read something in the local newspaper about microwave cooking and its effects. I was not happy with what I read and hence went into a research mode to find if there were any ill effects of cooking in a microwave oven.
Microwave Cooking Affects Health – Our Paramount Concern
Where health matters, one should know that choosing a quick option can give away your health in a big way.
Most households boil milk/water, cook their food and re heat the cooked food in a microwave oven. There is no debate on the fact that this is the quickest option.
However, the purpose of this argument is to elucidate the facts and fatal truth about the continual usage of microwave oven.
What is a microwave?
Microwave is an electromagnetic wave with a wavelength shorter than a normal radio wave.
This is mostly used in radar, in various industrial processes and in the manufacture of microwave oven.
This wave has a heat emitting property which is the basic principle behind using it for cooking purposes.
As sensible as it sounds in using the microwave for cooking purposes, there are harmful effects of this radiation when it is closer to humans during emission, let alone eating something cooked out of it.
Here are some Facts about food cooked using microwave oven you should know.
Microwave Exposure For Pregnant Women
1. It is common for doctors to suggest pregnant women to not remain in the same room when something cooks in a microwave oven.
So much for keeping the fetus safe, imagine what might happen if the woman consumes food cooked using this oven.
The environmental protection agency suggests that it is better for humans, pregnant or otherwise to refrain from being in the same place as the microwave oven while it cooks food.
Even a distance of 3 feet from the oven can be dangerous.
Reheating Of Breast Milk
2. Working women who continue to breastfeed their little ones, often store the breast milk in a deep freezer only to be re heated in the oven and fed to the baby.
Research has proved that by doing so about 95% of the antibodies in the breast milk are killed in the re heating process.
Thus the whole idea of creating good immunity in your babies goes for a toss.
3. Continual consumption of food done by microwave cooking has escalated the levels of cholesterol in the body.
Hence, going by quick recipes for bachelors or spinsters using microwave oven may actually not be a healthy option even if you may have to use less oil as compared to conventional cooking.
4. Similarly the medical condition called anemia is also on the rise when one is continually consumes food by microwave cooking food as opposed to conventionally cooked food.
5. As a cascading effect, the white blood cells which are known to keep our antibodies ready in times of any infection or disease may start dwindling when you use microwave oven.
Sensitization seems to be necessary, more importantly for mothers who use microwaves more to keep their family healthy.
One can choose to be quick but not at the cost of one’s health.